MPLS VPNs or not?

James Cumming james at cumming.org
Wed Aug 8 12:42:20 UTC 2001

Actually I think I find myself agreeing with both of these
viewpoints.

When MPLS first launched everyone was hyping what a massive speed
increase it would have through your network which has been proved to
be a load of rubbish.  However I do believe that it has some useful
applications and deploying it as an enabler technology across your
backbone may not be a bad thing - infact certain features (i.e.. fast
reroute) are a good thing in certain topologies.

Many of the "applications" that are being (note I say are being as
they don't work well enough yet!) developed i.e. L2 and L3 VPNs may
well be, in the future, very handy and very sought after services to
sell to your clients but currently there are just too many flaws to
really consider (in my opinion - and from experience) deploying them
in anger.

In the future I have no doubt that routers and vendor code sets will
be able to cope with the strains and stresses these "features" place
on them but at the moment the abilities to deploy, provision and
support these applications are just not viable on a large ISP/carrier
backbone.  This is backed up by my inherent dislike of offline
provisioning/management tools which many vendors are recommending for
L3 VPN provisioning on a large scale.

The other debate you often find yourself in is the "do we use LDP/TDP
to dynamically distribute labels and create LSPs or do we statically
(RSVP) define LSPs"?  Both have their advantages and it depends on
your network, traffic topologies and congestion levels but if your
network is in good shape then my personal opinion is that I'd plump
for LDP anytime as I'm not a fan of the Telco/ATM theories of
creating a large PtP mesh network.

Anyways - just my 2 cents.

James