MPLS VPNs or not?

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Wed Aug 8 07:44:53 UTC 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> Or, to put it differently.. there are a handful of fundamental assertions of
> your paper that I very much disagree with and consider flawed.  The discussion
> of resource reservation is one of them.  The sheer blanket statement mentality
> of your doc is inappropriate, IMHO, and doesn't do the problem space justice.

I'm known for making strong statements, you are right.  However, so far
I've heard no convincing argument against these positions; and I tried to
solicit opinions by offering the opinions in question for the public
review.  Frankly, i was disappointed by the "let's wait and see which one
works" attitude.  As Randy was kind to point out, that attitude already
gave us a slew of DOA networking technologies, to the tune of billions
wasted.

I would really like to enjoy a reasoned discussion, resulting not in
relativistic opinions, but in real understanding of consequences of
different design decisions.

And, yes, I'm a strong adherent of K.I.S.S. principle, particularly where
poorly understood and tightly coupled systems are involved.

(As for the question "why didn't you go to IETF to express your opinion
there" - my current line of work does not touch on IETF activities; and,
besides, in my opinion, IETF ceased any useful design activity years ago,
and became a forum for spreading marketectures).

--vadim