MPLS VPNs or not?

Christian Kuhtz ck at arch.bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 8 03:37:13 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:35:12PM -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:
[..]
> I think the _best_ way for an operator to earn money is called "customer
> retention".  No implementation costs, little operational costs; a cash
> cow.  In my opinion, the best way to keep customers is not to offer new
> features on a flaky network, but to have network to be truly dependable.
[..]

Ideally, customers will never ask for anything new, nobody will ever invent a
better mousetrap, nobody will ever come up with a more efficient way of doing
something.  I think that's called paradise.

This isn't about chasing a reality that doesn't exist.  It's about managing
the risk of evolving an infrastructure.  And it is possible to evolve the
network while maintaining stability.

Quite frankly, I don't see what this has to do with 2547(bis) architectural
viability anymore.

--
Christian Kuhtz <ck at arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck at gnu.org> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.