MPLS VPNs or not?

David Charlap david.charlap at marconi.com
Tue Aug 7 23:04:19 UTC 2001

>> Over time, however, this advantage disappeared. IP best-match
>> lookup chips were developed that could do a proper IP lookup at
>> full line rate for OC-48 and even OC-192.
>
> Though I appreciate your point Dave,.....
>
> Throw enough silicon at any single problem and you can solve it. The
> question is what can you do with the silicon you have at your
> disposal for a given thermal/power/cost foot print. ...

Don't misunderstand me.  I am _NOT_ one of those people opposed to
MPLS!  I happen to be a developer working on MPLS software, and I think
it is some very good technology.

I was only referring to Craig's statement regarding some people's
assertion that label/VC forwarding is faster than IP forwarding.  I
agree with him that this assertion is not true today, although it was
true in the not-too-recent past.

Other uses of MPLS (including traffic engineering, various kinds of VPN
technologies, policies, etc.) are still very important, useful, and
desirable features.

-- David