The Death of TCP/IP

Wojtek Zlobicki wojtekz at idirect.com
Mon Aug 6 02:26:00 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roeland Meyer" <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
To: "'Wojtek Zlobicki'" <wojtekz at idirect.com>; <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 10:20 PM
Subject: RE: The Death of TCP/IP

Agreed, BUT .... as stated by Cringley himself, Microsoft tailors their
software to the
populus.  Wow a software company listening to its users, what a travesty.

> > The main reason that *Nix hosts are  generally more
> > resilient to these type of worms is that it is less likely for a non
> > informed administrator to administer a *Nix sever.
>
> False. A very large portion of the *nux machines are in this sad
condition.

False,  many popular exploits (such as those with BIND) are fixed/patched
much faster.
Now a really scarry worm would be one that exploits Apache.  I used *NIX and
not Linux for a reason.  Many UNIX boxes are much better secured.  Joe
Sixpack
that installs his favourite distro of Linux is just as vulnerable as a
windows users. I will give you
the fact that there are still many unsecure/unpatched boxes in both worlds.
It all comes
down to the poor management of Internet connected devices.  I am really
encouraged
by the new option of auto installing updates in Windows XP. It is sad that
such a well
publicized worm/bug is spreading so far (it made the front page of the
National Post here
in Canada).