Its not a worm, just Mother Nature

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Sat Aug 4 17:17:06 UTC 2001

On 3 Aug 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Fri, 03 August 2001, "Kyle C. Bacon" wrote:
> >      There was also a fire in the basement of a telco hotel in
> > Cleveland, OH due to a blown/over-extended transformer.  The building
> > was evacuated and power to the building was shut off by the Fire
> > Department between 9am and 1pm EST.
>
> According to news reports the Keith Building at East 17th and
> Euclid is a 20 story, high-rise building.  Both the main fire
> alarm and the its backup failed, so no fire alarm sounded.  Damage
> seems to be limited to the basement, and smoke damage as it rose
> through shafts and ducts in the building.

The Keith Building is home to several ISP's, including APK Net (the
largest local ISP) and CoreComm (Voyager) Ohio. It's probably the
most wired building in the city. I don't know which backbones have
facilities in that building besides PSI (except that I know Verio doesn't;
they are down the street a couple blocks).

When I read "telco hotel" I figured maybe the fire was in Tower City, in
one of the old retail spaces that was converted...

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO - sjsobol at JustThe.net

Donate a portion of your monthly ISP bill to your favorite charity or
non-profit organization! E-mail me for details.