MAPS changes (was RE: trapdoor.merit.edu and other...etc)

John A. Tamplin jat at liveonthenet.com
Fri Aug 3 01:23:51 UTC 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> The spammers seem to think its OK.  Seems like anti-spammers could give it
> a try.

The spammers are happy with .1% hit rate and 50% pissed-off rate when it
costs them essentially $20.

> > As I recall, the first modifications to use RBL in sendmail were done
> > elsewhere, eventually a link was included on the sendmail site, and then
> > it was part of the configuration.
>
> We are sort of minimalist when it comes to modifying mainstream code, so
> I betting we got it of the box and plugged it.  But that would have been
> on my watch, and I don't remember for sure.

You have to build a configuration file for sendmail, and there are no
defaults that work out of the box.  When I built my config file, I went
through the documentation saying "yes, I will take that feature, and that
one, ..." and one of them was the DNS RBL interface.  In another message
you mention that you use HP's sendmail so I have no idea how that process
works, but I rarely use any vendor's shipping version of important code
like BIND, sendmail, ssh, etc as they are almost always out of date.

> At first cut, I could not agree more.  But at second and third thought when
> I realized that just yanking the thing would have, you might say, unanticipated
> consequences, I would try to find a way of (think of imploding a building)
> firing the trigger without having it fall in on me.

> I'm just really tired of the cult-of-personality stuff.  Lots of us are
> just trying to keep our tiny corner of the world running for reasons
> that do not glorify bits and bit-fiddlers against a growing tide of
> bad guys.  Having trouble telling who is on your side and who isn't does
> not enhance the experience.

Other than better notification and spamming whois contacts for every
netblock that accesses your DNS server, how do you propose they change a
mostly-unknown customer base of freeloaders into a commercially
sustainable venture?  We may disagree on the viability of notifying
everyone through DNS logs and whois data, but surely you would not argue
that after whatever steps are taken there will continue to be people that
didn't hear about it or make any changes.  Eventually you have to do
something that will get their attention.  All I wanted was a post here
about it, especially considering all the discussion that has gone on
over the years and the operational implications.

John A. Tamplin					jat at jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave
770/431-9459 FAX		 		Smyrna, GA  30082-3723