trapdoor.merit.edu and other impatient Postfix mailers everywhere (fwd)

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Aug 2 21:24:30 UTC 2001

At 5:17 PM -0400 8/2/01, Mark Radabaugh - Amplex wrote:
>I think MAPS managed to DOS themselves.  Since they are refusing queries
>BIND can't cache the response and so it just keeps trying with every new
>e-mail.  The traffic hitting MAPS servers has to be impressive.

This seems very similar to what happened to a couple of the ORBS
mirrors when ORBS shut down.

Eventually, one of them decided to just start returning "127.0.0.2"
for every lookup (or some such), which caused lots of people to
reject-all-mail until they fixed their configs.

Not that I think MAPS would do such a thing, but it may be one of the
few ways they can fix the large installed base pointing at them and
not ceasing as they're supposed to.

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |