Code Red growth stats

Etaoin Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Thu Aug 2 03:18:16 UTC 2001

"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

> In message <EA9368A5B1010140ADBF534E4D32C728025AB1 at condor.mhsc.com>, Roeland Me
> yer writes:

[snip]

> >Are you taking into account that every copy of Win2K comes with IIS? I had
> >to quickly run around and do upgrades yesterday. I clean forgot about the
> >workstations. I bet that I'm not the only one either.

> Are you sure about that?  Or rather, are you sure it's on by default?
> I just checked my toy desktop machine and rebooted to the other
> partition of my laptop, and didn't see it running on either.l  To be
> sure, I'd have turned it off if I knew it was on, but I have no idea
> how to do things like that on Windows...

I am absolutely sure that the default for a workstation is NO IIS. I have
two. They exist as victims, what else, and they are not running anything of
the sort. I'm going to have to purchase one of those damnably expensive
win2k server 5-license copies, just so that I can have the new fingerprint
(hey, I only break my own machines for free).

There is absolutely not an install of IIS on win2k Pro, unless you put it
there.

Oh, and I DO know how to do things like that on windows (but prefer not
to).

--
Does anybody else think that W2K actually is doing
what Y2K only dreamed of?