Code Red growth stats

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Wed Aug 1 20:36:22 UTC 2001

In message <200108012026.QAA29111 at thelonius.ai.mit.edu>, Petr Swedock writes:

>There's no indication on how the stats are collected... Is it by IP
>addr reported? Does it take into account duplicates (re-infection
>rates?)

While they don't say, the "number of infected hosts" graph makes me
assume that they're counting unique IP addresses that tried to hit them.

As I said, my numbers are consistent with others posted here.  And I've
gotten private mail about another, similar observation -- Code Red,
Round 2, appears to have peaked a few hours ago.