Canada - Land of ice and snow (was RE: California power ... unplugged)

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Mon Apr 30 10:44:37 UTC 2001

Sean,

Not surprisingly, the same event affected Maine. The lines to Washington
country went down under load, and tree damage in the Lewiston-Auburn to
Augusta to Belfast was so pervasive that power restoration took an average
of two weeks. I lived in Belfast, ours was down for 17 days. The icing was
worse in Southern Quebec. Thanks for the reminder of the month when people
shared. I benefited by a cord of wood from my neighbor.

As for the environmentally friendly label on hydro-power, I trust Randy is
not referring to Hydro-Quebec power, or at least not hydro-power that has
a cost of mercury uptake in Cree communities in Northern Quebec.

Oh, pro-nuke raving and so forth isn't one of this lists stronger points.

Eric