California power ... unplugged.

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Sun Apr 29 22:33:01 UTC 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Christian Kuhtz wrote:
> If you factor it all in for the lifecycle of power generation method x,
> nuclear power is considerably more expensive than any other power generation
> method presently in use.

I find this unlikely since Canada is considering selling power to the
western US and they use nuclear.  Or they are just stupid?

> Did you know that Chernobyl has to be burried in concrete for the next 25k
> years (earliest halflife time of the elements burried in the plant)?  Where
> were you or your ancestors 25k years ago?

Does the fact that Bhopal occured mean that we shouldn't have chemical
processing plants anywhere in the world?

> Simply the facts around proper storage for very long periods of time (25k years
> or more) should be a hint at the problems around nuclear waste, even though
> it isn't an exhaustive one.

This is solved, although rather boringly.  Volumetrically, waste takes up
less space than the original mined material.  You wouldn't build houses on
either.  Both are buried materials.  How long does it take for a mountain
range to move?  longer than 25k years.

> I'm sure I'll just get yet another pointless flame back, but you're so wrong
> that I couldn't restraint myself not saying something about all this nonsense.

No flame here.  Back to the operational aspect.

So, on balance you feel coal is less harmful.  That is fine.  Others
disagree.  In any case not building power plants isn't a choice.
California already ranks 48th lowest in power consumption per capita.
So, now that you must chose, what type will you build?

Chosing not to build power plants in this case is effectively quitting the
game/getting out of the Internet business since you are already at 100%
capacity.  If you are in the western US this will effect you, whether you
form an opinion or not.

Mike.