California power ... unplugged.

Christian Kuhtz ck at arch.bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 29 22:11:09 UTC 2001

Pal,

wacky point of view, huh? ;-)

You're way off base with your hypothesis about waste products of nuclear
power.  And I'm by no means "Green" or whatever else you'd like to call the
treehuggers.

Sure they manufacture Usomething from another Usomethingelse.  They are
uniquely different elements and if you don't recognize that, you need to go
check out yourself.  It's interesting stuff, and you mighty learn something.
Uranium, and the isotopes derived from the naturally occuring one, is only one
of the elements of cause serious concern.  It doesn't take much physics and
chemistry and biology knowledge to fully understand the complex of problems.

The point isn't Uwhatever, the point is the series of waste products generated
during the entire lifecycle of the reactor.  This includes what is generated
during the course of the operation of the reactor and has to be disassembled
from time to time for routine maintainence to keep the reactor safe as well
as at the end of the life of a reactor (yes, they have limited lifetimes).
Anything which has been exposed to those amounts of neutron flux common in
such plants is not something you want to live on.

If you factor it all in for the lifecycle of power generation method x,
nuclear power is considerably more expensive than any other power generation
method presently in use.

There are plenty of studies that prove this point, check your favorite public
library for the study and backup materials.

Or, you can just stay ignorant and not consider the entire lifecycle and claim
that nuclear power is cheaper, better, bla bla bla.  Fairy tales do serve their
purpose, I suppose.

Did you know that Chernobyl has to be burried in concrete for the next 25k
years (earliest halflife time of the elements burried in the plant)?  Where
were you or your ancestors 25k years ago?

Simply the facts around proper storage for very long periods of time (25k years
or more) should be a hint at the problems around nuclear waste, even though
it isn't an exhaustive one.

I would strongly recommend you do your homework before broadcasting such
nonsense.

I'm sure I'll just get yet another pointless flame back, but you're so wrong
that I couldn't restraint myself not saying something about all this nonsense.

I suppose it will never cease to amaze me what sort of things are born out of
ignorance...

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled flamewars...

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz <ck at arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck at gnu.org> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.