Future of route-servers

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Apr 23 16:25:13 UTC 2001

> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:45:53 -0400
> From: Vinny India <vindia at ads.espire.net>
> Sender: owner-nanog at merit.edu
>

> Anyone out there know what the future is for route servers at MAE-EAST, I
> don't know of any route-servers being implemented off the MAE-ATM service.
> If anyone knows something please let us know.

This is something that WorldCom's customers need to press them to
provide.

Others have asked and been told that WorldCom will place route servers
at the ATM MAEs only if they see customer demand. So, please contact
you WorldCom sales critter and demand!

Many people seem unaware of route servers and how valuable they can
be. For those who have been following the claims that there is a major
routing melt-down coming to the Internet, the use of router servers
can be a major help as they off-load the job of route calculation form
your router and put it on a dedicated system.

The only requirement for use of the route servers is that you must
register your routes and routing policy in the IRR. Building your own
IRRd is a nice option if you want to maintain control of your own
data. It's a trivial job when adding new address space, but it can be
a bit hard to play catch-up when your have either never registered
things or stopped doing so because the value of registration was not
clear to someone.

Once again, if you want to see route servers at the ATM MAEs, YOU MUST
TELL WORLDCOM!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)