More AOL questions -- Have you dealt with them?

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Mon Apr 23 12:39:50 UTC 2001

Ok, my request for contact information for AOL postmaster type
contacts didn't really go very far, so I'll ask a question that is
directly relavent to network managers on this list.

Have any of you that run mailing list services had to go through the
"white-listing" process with AOL?  I'm being asked (forced?) to sign
an agreement that lists the things that AOL requires of me (one of
which is "do not distribute this list").  Some of the items on the
list are OK as far as spam reduction go (and things that I support
already), but others are incredible, and just plain WRONG.  I'm just
wondering if others have been black-mailed into signing this agreement.

If you have *NOT* had to sign a legal agreement, what have you done
to be allowed to send "high volume" mail into AOL?  They continue
to drop (silently) e-mail from mailinglists.org, and continue to
tell the list managers and clients (their clients and mine) that it
is due to mailinglists.org being a source of spam (which it is not).

I'm tired of doing my best to do the right thing, and then having my
clients told by AOL that my systems are spam sources and that by blocking
my traffic, they are helping out with the world's junk mail problem.

Thanks,
AlanC