Custom Wireless Solution

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Mon Apr 23 11:42:09 UTC 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:
>
> > Is this plausible.  Is there any technology out there that uses public
> > spectrum over a 6 mile distance ?
>
> Dave Hughes did a study of wireless options for rural applications, funded
> by NSF I believe. Some fairly current results, including vendors lists and
> such, are at http://wireless.oldcolo.com/

  Be sure to pay attention to the "Fresnel Zone" references in this
document. While not particularly accurate, it does refer to the problem of
Fresnel Zone intrusion that can cause problems with your path. In other
words, an optical line-of-sight path is not necessarily a good RF
path, so don't bother installing it if you're not going to engineer it.

Chuck