Custom Wireless Solution

Dominic J. Eidson sauron at the-infinite.org
Mon Apr 23 02:19:12 UTC 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

> I saw this question posed on on the forums at AnandTech.com and would
> love to see if it is plausible.

Oh, quite.

> Here is my question: What equipment could I use to do this? I found
> some stuff on cisco's site, but it costs about $8000. The speed does
> not have to be supper fast, but I would like to have something at
> least the speed of ISDN.

Cisco BR340's - they're $900/each, and work well in bridge mode. As
someone already stated, make sure you get some good high-gain (and
narrow-beam directional - we use 10 degree yagi) antenna's.

> Is this plausible.  Is there any technology out there that uses public
> spectrum over a 6 mile distance ?

With line of sight, they claim they can go 9+ miles. Of course, weather
does affect it - one of our spans tends to go down when there's just the
right kind of heavy rain.

Theoretic speed is 11Mbit/sec - effective (real) speed is about
6Mbit/sec. (YMMV, that's on a 1/2 mile span)

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli