How to game the system (was Re: What does 95th %tile mean?)

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Fri Apr 20 07:07:40 UTC 2001

> I have a feeling providers will start managing/reducing the
> excess capacity headroom in their networks.  And will start looking at
> ways to wring more money out of their current customers.  Some rocket
> science accountant somewhere should be working on a way to maximize the
> chargable usage by just shifting the window bins back and forth until
> he finds the maximum.

This would work well for end-users. Buy outbound time on inbound-heavy
networks, and vice-versa. Route updates are too slow to move the content
around, otherwise a really savvy and cheap buyer could keep thier
"current" server in the dark part of the planet full time and get excess
bandwidth for next to nothing all day.