What does 95th %tile mean?

Geoff Huston gih at telstra.net
Fri Apr 20 00:30:19 UTC 2001

At 4/20/01 10:18 AM, David Schwartz wrote:
>         Billing based upon total bytes transferred tends to create similar
>problems. Do you bill based upon bytes transferred per day? Per month? If
>so, it's still statistical sampling if you have some amount of 'paid
>bandwidth'.

I think its the last part of this statement about 'paid bandwidth' which is
the bit that may make your statistical sampling comment , but I'm unsure if
your 'paid bandwidth' is the same as the one thats in my head.

In general (minus 'paid bandwidth' and taking the view that all bytes
passed between the customer and the provider have the same billable value)
byte transferred systems are more reliable if you take as your yardstick of
'reliability' that the same algorithm applied to the same raw data should
yield the same result. As long as both parties can agree (precisely) when
the measurement interval starts and stops, of course.

Of course if you then want to complicate the picture by attaching different
billing rates to different packets, then once more the complexity rises and
the accuracy tends to drop.