What does 95th %tile mean?

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Thu Apr 19 16:35:29 UTC 2001

> How is everyone else doing it? Specifically, larger folks (UU, Sprint, CW,
> Exodus/FGC, GX, Qwest, L3)

I believe (but am not positive) that Exodus does billing on 95in + 95out,
where 95th in and 95th out are calculated separately for the month and
then added together.

What also might be interesting is to see if the burstable rates charged
by the various providers differ based on the calculation type.  For
example, if you did the calculation as 95in+95out, then you could charge
less per "byte" than someone who did Max(95in,95out) - but end up
charging the same customer more each month... Since most of the people
signing the contracts don't have a clue about how burstable is calculated,
I can see marketing at a provider saying "go with us because our rates are
cheaper" when in fact they are more expensive...  Just my $0.02...

Eric :)