What does 95th %tile mean?

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Thu Apr 19 16:13:34 UTC 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Andy Dills wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
>
> > How is everyone else doing it? Specifically, larger folks (UU, Sprint, CW,
> > Exodus/FGC, GX, Qwest, L3)
>
> FWIW, Abovenet handles it exactly like you mentioned -
> Max(95%(out),95%(in)), and I'm fairly certain UUnet does as well. At
> least, the weekly transfer stats they mail us seem to indicate that, but
> we don't have a contract that would make use of transfer stats, so it is
> possible that it varies, but I don't think so.

Sorry to followup my own post, but I just received my weekly utilization
report. Here is the statement at the bottom of that email:

"The statistics for Tiered and Burstable customers are derived by taking a
sample of the customer traffic every five minutes on the in and out
packets sent/received on the customer's UUNET connection.  These
statistics are then aggregated over a (daily, weekly, monthly) period
where the top (20%, 5%, 1%) of the traffic is discarded to arrive at the
(P80, P95, P99) flow statistic.  Metered customer's statistics are derived
by calculating the total in and out octets on the customer's UUNET
connection."

Everything makes sense until the last line. "Calculating the total in and
out octets" could imply either max or sum, so it probably depends on the
contract, which seems to be the bottom line to this thread anyhow.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access