"Cisco MPLS-based VPNs" & BGP Stability

Robert Raszuk raszuk at cisco.com
Wed Apr 18 20:38:11 UTC 2001

Hello Franklin,

I promised to Danny to stay silent but since there are a few things I
must clarify in your mail I will break my promise with just one small
calrification:

> as OSPF that is widely deployed in enterprise network.  With pure VPN
> I can try to reduce the BGP timer for speeding the convergence up,
> however, with full Internet routing table I would not do that.
>
> I will say the scalability and fast speed convergence is a pair of
> contradictions here.  Internet requires scalability much more, and
> enterprise network requires faster convergence time on the hand.  So
> I will not say it makes a lot of sense to bind them together.

Yes you are right. That is why all knobs we have are address family
specific. You can adjust timers for Internet routes in a different way
then for VPN one without impacting one with the other on the same
router.

R.