"Cisco MPLS-based VPNs" & BGP Stability

Robert Raszuk raszuk at cisco.com
Tue Apr 17 21:04:48 UTC 2001

Danny,

> which clearly impacts unicast stuff as well.

Not at all. Please provide data which would prove your "clearly"
statement. Second I would say if there is any impact this is only
implementation specific impact. In other words if your bgp
implementation does not separate different address family processing,
trie maintenance, allow for independent timers etc ... you may be right
but I am not aware of any such implementation deployed anywhere so far
:).

As a matter of fact a lot of today's mpls-vpn deployments use different
set of relflector's hardware for vpnv4 routes plus are using default
route for providing internet access for mpls-vpn customers so I don't
really see how those SPs/ISPs would impact with mpls-vpns any ipv4 bgp
Internet infrastructure or bgp stability. Total AF isolation can be also
easily achived even for inter-as mpls-vpns as well with correctly
architected design.

R.