Two administrative boo-boos?

Kyle C. Bacon kbacon at fnsi.net
Fri Apr 13 13:55:42 UTC 2001

John et all,

     198.32.187.0 is exchangepoint IP space.  At some time enkido was
probably connected to MAE-E-ATM, then
disconnected and returned their IP address to the IX pool.  The IP was
re-assigned to Exodus when they upgraded or purchased
a second IX connect to MAE-E-ATM and DNS never updated for the .119.
(There are many of them like that).

                    troy at clownham
                    mer.org              To:     John Fraizer <nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net>, nanog at merit.edu
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    owner-nanog at m        Subject:     Re: Two administrative boo-boos?
                    erit.edu

                    04/12/2001
                    09:12 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    troy

>I believe I've found two administrative boo-boos.
>
>4 mae-east.enkido.net (198.32.187.119) [5696] 27.268 ms 23.847 ms 24.667
ms

>Problem #1: The hop above is showing up for traces into an exodus.
..snip

Quite possibly a leak on enkido's part. Have you tried regular problem
resolution
methods (shooting an email to both noc at enkido and noc at exodus) before
posting
to Nanog?

>Problem #2: It looks like Winstar is announcing EP space.
>
>BGP routing table entry for 198.32.187.0/24
>Paths: (1 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
>  13706 5696
>    66.35.64.10 from 66.35.64.10 (216.226.130.1)
>      Origin IGP, metric 1000, localpref 100, valid, external, best
>      Community: 13944:13706
>      Last update: Sat Apr  7 13:49:33 2001

they arent advertising the space to any peers. they ARE however carrying
the
route internally and advertising it to those who purchase transit from
Winstar.
Perhaps this would be best resolved by contacting noc at winstar?

-troy

http://www.clownhammer.org