OT:Optical Splitters

Martin Hannigan hannigan at fugawi.net
Thu Apr 12 13:07:11 UTC 2001

As far as I know they aren't power, but they inject loss as a termination
device.
It should be a "wiring" issue. Feel free to ping me offline if you need more
detail. The primary/protect is an equipment characteristic, not a splitter
characteristic.
You do have to "watch out" for providers that "forget" to drop in the
protect or
neglect to mention it, or charge more. It also depends where your gear is
slung off
the network i.e. a spur or a lateral to the network.

-M

At 11:09 PM 4/11/2001 -0400, Martin, Christian wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Sorry for the slightly off-topic post.  Is anyone familiar with optical
>splitters that can run in a primary-backup mode in a passive way?  The
>intent is to provide GigE redundancy between a host and a pair of switches.
>It needs to be able to switch over on a loss-of-link condition, and
>preferably switch back once the primary comes online.  Does such a thing
>exist that runs without power?  If not, is there a manageable, rackmount
>solution with telco-grade reliability?
>
>TIA,
>chris

Regards,

Martin Hannigan                    hannigan at fugawi.net
Fugawi Networks                    Founder/Director of Implementation
Boston, MA                         http://www.fugawi.net
Ph: 617.742.2693                   Fax: 617.742.2300