gigabit router (was Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20)

Vijay Gill vijay at umbc.edu
Thu Apr 12 01:57:31 UTC 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 alex at yuriev.com wrote:

> into production. That bug is still not fixed. Since confederations are very
> widely used, and no one else found this bug, and yet we have hit it nearly
> immediately, there is some sort of logical problem here. If something as
> simple as AS_PATH prepending in confederations does not work, I have some
> big reservations about things that are much more complex than that.

Alex, there are some promising local isps that have large bgp networks
with confederations and the confed behavior is fine. I am not sure what
you mean by as path prepending in confederations, but if you are talking
about the routers not taking into account the confederation member AS's in
the overall as path length when doing route selection, than that is what
was expected by most people using confeds. [The question of wether AS_PATH
prepending of confed member AS's should matter or indeed if as_path length
should matter at all is a different question]

As for your link state protocol issue, well, that is what we have today
that works (of course depends on how you define work, but its worth
several billion USD of revenue a year), so I'll take it till something
better comes along.

/vijay