gigabit router (was Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20)

Kavi, Prabhu prabhu_kavi at tenornetworks.com
Wed Apr 11 22:41:29 UTC 2001

You misunderstand.  Getting multiple forwarding tables synchronized
on one box IS simple, if the architecture considered it from the start.
Trying to bolt it on later can cause problems, however.  These
problems are an implementation issue on a particular platform.

As a counterpoint to what you say, consider that all commonly
deployed routers that can handle OC-192 rates do NOT have a
single centralized forwarding engine.

Or do you know something about KISS that was not apparent to
those who designed these working products?

Prabhu