OT: RE: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

abender at taqua.com abender at taqua.com
Wed Apr 11 16:21:38 UTC 2001

> Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:27:37 -0700
> From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
> Subject: RE: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20
>
> >       Please let me know when your Linux box is capable of doing
> > line rate forwarding on an OC-192.
>
> I actually saw a Linux box capable of doing this. It was on IBM S/390
> hardware. Admitedly, that would be a waste of horsepower. OC-192 is far to
> slow to keep that box busy.
>
> <GRIN>

AFAIK, the S/390 architecture (as of G7) does not have any network or
channel devices that run anywhere close to this speed. GE is the best
they're doing right now. Also, Linux390 runs in VM, (i.e. not native)
and as such is not exactly running away with IO performance. If you have
information to the contrary, I'd certainly be interested, off list of
course.

The proper place for interested parties is:
http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?linux-vm

Andrew
taqua.com