Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Apr 10 21:03:35 UTC 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 01:29:25PM -0700, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:22:45PM -0600, Aaron Dewell wrote:
> > Well, I did say up to a 7200, and a 7200 won't exactly forward an
> > OC-192 line rate.  No interface cards either.
>
>       Precisely my point...no interface cards.  Yes, you can route
> ethernet, and maybe even a T1 or two...you can't do serious T1 or DS3
> aggregation or anything larger than an OC-3 or so with that PC.

There is absolutily no (technical) reason that you cannot successfully
"route" gigabit ethernet at line rate using off the shelf and extremely
cheap PC technology and a bit of clue.

Note that this specifically does not cover a Linux "router", as denoted by
the "a bit of clue" clause. Also note that Zebra is stable and useful only
when it is doing nothing or next to nothing.

Do not assume that because you have never seen something done [well], or
because you lack the knowledge to do something [well], that it cannot be
done [well]. This also applies to accepting vendor excuses for what can
or cannot be done.