Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

Greg Maxwell gmaxwell at martin.fl.us
Tue Apr 10 20:30:22 UTC 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Joe Abley wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 03:45:10PM -0400, Greg Maxwell wrote:

> > > 	Aggregation buys time, that's it.  Aggregation does not make the
> > > current routing methods any more scalable.
> >
> > In IPv4 yes, because you can't have perfect aggregation, too much network
> > multihoming and old prefixes and it's to painful to change address blocks.
> >
> > In IPv6, if implimented right aggregation provides for virtually limitless
> > scalability for unicast traffic.
>
> So long as "implemented right" means "edge sites are no longer
> permitted to multi-home at the IP layer". If those are the
> constraints of your routing policy, IPv4 will scale too. Very
> nicely.

Well, thats close to what I ment. My proposal is that any networking
level multihoming for IPv6 not be globally advertised (I.e. two tier-2's
could fast path their networks to each other, and they both fully carry
the routing burden of that choice without impact to other networks). It should
be clairfied in the end-to-end multihoming draft soon.