Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Tue Apr 10 20:29:25 UTC 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:22:45PM -0600, Aaron Dewell wrote:
> Well, I did say up to a 7200, and a 7200 won't exactly forward an OC-192
> line rate.  No interface cards either.

	Precisely my point...no interface cards.  Yes, you can route
ethernet, and maybe even a T1 or two...you can't do serious T1 or DS3
aggregation or anything larger than an OC-3 or so with that PC.

	It's fine for people in colo or with a couple of LANs to route
about but it isn't a practical solution for those of us with real
networks to run.  So, will you and everyone else who brings this up,
please stop.  If it were as practical as you claim, a lot more people
would be doing it.

> Of course, a GSR won't forward it at line rate either, AFAIK.  It pretends
> to nicely, though...

	I think you'll need to be more specific than GSR when making
this statement.

	--msa