Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Apr 10 17:29:06 UTC 2001

Thus spake "Eric A. Hall" <ehall at ehsco.com>
> I honestly believe that ARIN is funded by stock ownership in NAT
> provder technologies.

No, ARIN is funded by the ISPs which it doesn't require to follow its
allocation guidelines.

> They are the primary reason that we have NAT
> and RFC 1918 problems on the net everyday.

No, the reason we have NAT is because it's a lot easier for novice
network administrators to divvy up and route 10/8 than it is 208.x.x/20.
Any leaf network can get all the non-portable addresses they want, for a
price.

There's also a general perception that NAT increases security; some
"security" companies go so far as to say NAT removes the need for a
firewall.  It's amazing how many network admins believe this.

Stephen Sprunk      "So long as they don't get violent, I want to let
CCIE #3723      everyone say what they wish, for I myself have always
K5SSS               said exactly what pleased me."  --Albert Einstein