Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Tue Apr 10 02:31:50 UTC 2001

> > Also, they don't have any special-case handling that I am aware of. I
> > tried to get a private /24 to use for the topology examples in my books
> > and couldn't get one. ARIN outright refused the request even though I
> > could prove the need for it, and even though I didn't care about global
> > routing or reachability.
>
> Well, to me it sounds like you wanted your own /24, came up with an
> excuse, and they saw right through it. I mean, if you need IP space for
> your book, 192.168/16 and 10/8 are popular choices.

Well - a bit off to the side of this topic, but when has that stopped anyone
on this list...  I seem to recall that 192.0.2.0/24 was reserved for just
this type of use.  I can't find an RFC that explicitly says "192.0.2.0/24
is reserved for documentation and example code" though the block has been
reserved by ARIN and Bill Manning's got an Internet Draft saying as much
(http://www.isi.edu/~bmanning/dsua.html).  Anyone have a reference to
the official word on this?

Eric :)