Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Tue Apr 10 02:12:49 UTC 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> > Actually, the last I heard is that they will sell down to a /24.
>
> No. See http://www.arin.net/regserv/feeschedule.html
>
> "The minimum block of IP address space assigned by ARIN is a /20."
>
> Also, they don't have any special-case handling that I am aware of. I
> tried to get a private /24 to use for the topology examples in my books
> and couldn't get one. ARIN outright refused the request even though I
> could prove the need for it, and even though I didn't care about global
> routing or reachability.
>
> I was also told that any /24 that I might manage to acquire would be
> revoked instead of transferred to me.
>
> I honestly believe that ARIN is funded by stock ownership in NAT provder
> technologies. They are the primary reason that we have NAT and RFC 1918
> problems on the net everyday.

Well, to me it sounds like you wanted your own /24, came up with an
excuse, and they saw right through it. I mean, if you need IP space for
your book, 192.168/16 and 10/8 are popular choices.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access