Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Mon Apr 9 22:52:37 UTC 2001

> Actually, the last I heard is that they will sell down to a /24.

No. See http://www.arin.net/regserv/feeschedule.html

"The minimum block of IP address space assigned by ARIN is a /20."

Also, they don't have any special-case handling that I am aware of. I
tried to get a private /24 to use for the topology examples in my books
and couldn't get one. ARIN outright refused the request even though I
could prove the need for it, and even though I didn't care about global
routing or reachability.

I was also told that any /24 that I might manage to acquire would be
revoked instead of transferred to me.

I honestly believe that ARIN is funded by stock ownership in NAT provder
technologies. They are the primary reason that we have NAT and RFC 1918
problems on the net everyday.