Trends and Comparisons in Global BGP Data

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Apr 8 21:19:30 UTC 2001

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 01:52:44AM -0700, Alan Hannan wrote:

> "There are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics"
>
>                       - Benjami Disraeli

79.48% of all statistics are made up.

                        - Random Internet Quote

> It does seem that we've seen a bit of a slow down in routing table
> growth.  Someone with more time should take a look at breaking down the
> implied curves over given periods.  It sure looks like we were on a
> slow exponential curve from ~1998 to 3Q2000.  3Q2000->Now looks like
> more of a linear growth.

I don't have any historical data to work with, but it would be interesting
if someone could break down the total prefix count by length. The recent
slowdown is hardly monumental in nature, and could easily be attributable
to nagging about the rampant and incompetent announcement of /24s.