C&W routing instability

Joe Shaw jshaw at insync.net
Fri Apr 6 19:31:01 UTC 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Christopher B. Zydel wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 02:45:06PM -0400, Timothy Brown wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone confirm routing instability and/or huge path leakage from C&W?  I'm
> > hearing reports of this and seeing general instability/loss, but the route
> > servers aren't showing anything funny.
>
> We were seeing some pretty massive leakage from C&W starting around 90 minutes
> ago.  It *appears* to have ceased, but I don't have confirmation from them
> that the problem has been resolved at this time.

I'm at a client site who is multi-homed to Verio and C&W.  With both links
up, various networks in C&W's net are unreachable with the same
configuration that yesterday worked perfectly.  The only massaging of BGP
announcements their doing is with recieved routes and nothing on what
they're sending out.  We've taken the fractional DS3 to C&W down and
everything is working again.  Maybe this would explain why it just quit
working for some reason.

--
Joseph W. Shaw, II
Network Design and Computer Security Consultant