Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Thu Apr 5 09:09:36 UTC 2001

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 07:31:24AM -0400, Stephen Griffin wrote:
> In the referenced message, Gary E. Miller said:
> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Stephen Griffin wrote:
> > > So, if people picked better providers, they wouldn't need to multihome.
> > > You feel you need to multihome, because you keep picking DSL, which just
> > > isn't a good choce for "mission critical applications".
> >
> > PSI could be next.  They are not DSL.  If I still had a PSInet connection
> > I would sure want it multihomed.
>
> I don't see how this changes anything. DSL is a subset of the "not good"
> variety, not the complete set. If I had "mission critical applications"
> I would probably include companies that are likely to file for Chapter 7
> or Chapter 11 in the "not good" variety.

umm, perhaps you might have a better term than just "DSL".  it's pretty
common to supply DS1 circuits over HDSL lines now-a-days.  so, one of
our T1's looks identical (even to the bumbling ILEC "technicians")
to two $40/month residential DSL lines.  up to the DSLAM and beyond,
i would assume...

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York