Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Tue Apr 3 22:35:38 UTC 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 01:33:36PM -0400, Travis Pugh wrote:

> I'm at a multi-POP network in Boston.  We've had great luck selling
> customers a Verizon circuit into one of our POPs and a Worldcom circuit
> into a different one.

Don't know how the world looks like in the US, but here a SDH/Sonet
provider will never guarentee diversity of his/her circuit to that of a
different provider, often the end user can be almost sure that at least
the last few km will be in the same duct, as the local communities
demand that the providers cooperation when digging fiber into the
ground...

> It costs more, but they don't have nearly the
> exposure of a single circuit customer.  However, if you're not set up to
> do this, the appropriate level of paranoia calls for circuits to two
> different providers.  Maybe if SPs really addressed availability
> requirements of their customers, it wouldn't be such an issue.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)