Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

Irwin Lazar ILazar at tbg.com
Tue Apr 3 14:57:02 UTC 2001

> <quote>
> "Half of the companies that are multihomed should have gotten
> better service
> from their providers," says Patrik Faltstrom, a Cisco
> engineer and co-chair
> of the IETF's Applications Area. "ISPs haven't done a good enough job
> explaining to their customers that they don't need to multihome."
> </quote>
>
> From what I just went through (DSLnetworks v Covad), this is straight
> bulldust. Had I been properly multi-homed, MHSC would NOT
> have been down for
> 5 weeks.

Good point, one of our customers multihomed to two different providers and
had several instances where a BGP configuration change by one of their
providers made their networks invisible to half of that provider's peers.
These types of errors take quite a while to track down and are generally
only found when the help desk gets calls that some people from around the
world can't get to internal network resources (Looking glass sites are
invaluable in these situations).  Risk mitigation from these types of errors
is easy justification for multi-homing.

Irwin