outages in Toronto Canada (other places?)

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Mon Apr 2 03:16:34 UTC 2001

At 07:21 PM 4/1/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sun, 01 April 2001, "Majdi S. Abbas" wrote:
> >     UUnet appears to be very broken internally.  Lots of reachability
> > issues, and they are announcing only a percentage of their prefixes to
> > many peers in various places.
>
>UUNET US customer service says no one has reported any problems.

Savvis has confirmed they are working with UUNet on a routing problem. What
we were seeing is UUNet routes being announced by Savvis which UUNet's
gateway was unable to reach. Many sites such as www.ibm.com and www.cnn.com
were affected. Via our UUNet connections, these sites are all reachable
without any problem.

UUNet also confirmed they had backbone problems which they claim were fixed
about 20 minutes ago. However, we are still seeing the unreachable UUNet
announcements from Savvis.

The UUNet tech mumbled something about Tyson's Corner VA, but I am seeing
unreachable AS701 route announcements from AS6347 in New York. UUNet says
it is fixed. Savvis says it is a UUNet problem. I just turned down our
Savvis port...

core1-jcnj#trace www.cnn.com
Translating "www.cnn.com"...domain server (216.182.4.5) [OK]

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to cnn.com (207.25.71.26)

   1 64.242.31.17 [AS 6347] 0 msec 0 msec 4 msec
   2 atm9-0-0246.CR-1.usnycm.savvis.net (64.242.31.57) [AS 6347] 0 msec 4
msec 4
msec
   3 65.194.72.53 [AS 701] 0 msec 0 msec 4 msec

-Robert