MCI/Worldcom fiber cut in NY?
danr at dbn.net
Sat Sep 18 14:15:09 UTC 1999
I'm waiting for the obvious ping joke...
From: Jake Khuon [mailto:khuon at GCtr.Net]
Sent: Friday, September 17, 1999 11:51 PM
To: nanog at Merit.Net
Subject: Re: MCI/Worldcom fiber cut in NY?
### On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:00:00 -0600, "Alec H. Peterson"
### <ahp at hilander.com> casually decided to expound upon John Fraizer
### <John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net> the following thoughts about "Re:
### MCI/Worldcom fiber cut in NY?":
AHP> John Fraizer wrote:
AHP> > Bullet proof, YES. Waterproof, Doubtful.
AHP> Sure you can, make it so that it's at least several hundred feet above
AHP> level, and not in a flood plain.
Or in a submarine... great way for the gov't to earn extra money by
converting its SSBNs.
* High survivability even in the midst of tactical nuclear strikes
* Totally indepedent power source that will last years without the
need to replenish fuel... DC power generally available
* Heightened security... the facility is always at DEFCON 2
* Excellent heat dissipation
* 24x7 on-site NOC
* Cramped quarters... routers must fit inside either 21" torpedo
tubes or SLBM silos
* All equipment must comply with increased noise abatement rules
* Access to the facility accomplished via helo or underwater
insertion through the diving trunk.
* Potential for your equipment to be "accidently" ejected
* Very slow low bandwidth circuit availability via ELF
* On-site staff generally very grumpy after their 3 month "shift"
/*====================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at GCtr.Net> ]======================+
| Network Statistics Engineer, NSM/Net-Eng /~ |2 () |\| ~|~ | @ |2 |
| VOX: +1(408)543-4828 Fax: +1(408)543-4806 _/~ G L & B A L C E N T E R |
+===============[ 141 Caspian Court, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
More information about the NANOG