FW: your mail

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Fri Sep 24 11:32:28 UTC 1999

Hmm, you need to perform UPSTREAM traffic, not your internal traffic.
Hope CISCO people answer exact performance (through I can look for it
myself), but really you does need the performance to develop all
incoming/outgoing traffic, this means - if you have E3 upstream, you need
E3 performance.

And it hardly depends of the traffic itself. ACL's does not use much CPU,
but _protocol inspection_ (sorry, there is some other word in IOS for it,
I do not remember exactly) does use a lot of CPU.

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:53:47 -0300
> From: Rubens Kuhl Jr. <rkuhljr at uol.com.br>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Cc: Stephen Sprunk <ssprunk at cisco.com>
> Subject: FW: your mail
>

> > I have listened to their seminar about this... As the simple L5 firewall
> > it's not bad, through it realise the fixed set of ruls and defends your
> > from the simple SMTP attacks only. But anyway, IOS FW is just what 90% of
> > the customers need...
>
> How would IOS FW perform on Cisco 7x00-class equipment with 100M-to-Gigabit
> traffic ?
>

> Rubens Kuhl Jr.

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)