Anyone using?

Alex P. Rudnev alex at virgin.relcom.eu.net
Fri Oct 29 11:24:33 UTC 1999

When CISCO announced their new router-switch products, they said _it do
not support BGP in the first versions_. And I had impression _they
positioned this boxes for the corporate networks only_, through I do not
know which corporate network need to keep such _gigabit_ traffic (the only
example I know are video-content--providers and new Voice-over-data
telephone services.

As a matter of facts, I think they (big router vendors) are moving from
the Internet toward the corporate customers. And this make a free space
for the new router vendors available...

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:18:44 +0100
> From: Simon Lockhart <simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk>
> To: Alex P. Rudnev <alex at virgin.relcom.eu.net>
> Cc: Timothy Brown <tim at e-connectsolutions.com>, nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: Anyone using?
>

> >Let me change your question a little...
> >
> >Most hw vendors announces now intergared router-switches (CISCO
> >NORTEL, etc); usially it is very fast but limited-features devices.
> >
> >The question - is anyone using such devices in the production networ? In
> >the ISP network?
>
> We were close to getting some for our network, but were unable to get any
> hard facts about people who are using them as "backbone" or "border"
> routers. In the end, we've decided to go with Cisco GSR's.
>
> The flaws we tended to find were with not enough enough memory to hold
> full routing tables, or a limit on the number of route entries. Another
> flaw was mentioned with regard to the route caching - something about
> needing to hold in table of which IP addresses were on which port (usual
> switch behaviour).
>
> Simon
>
> --
> Simon Lockhart                      |   Tel: 01737 839676
> Senior R&D Engineer, Online         |   Fax: 01737 839665
> BBC Research & Development          | Email: Simon.Lockhart at rd.bbc.co.uk
> Kingswood Warren, Tadworth, Surrey. |   URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)