Anyone using?

Simon Lockhart simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 10:18:44 UTC 1999

>Let me change your question a little...
>
>Most hw vendors announces now intergared router-switches (CISCO
>NORTEL, etc); usially it is very fast but limited-features devices.
>
>The question - is anyone using such devices in the production networ? In
>the ISP network?

We were close to getting some for our network, but were unable to get any
hard facts about people who are using them as "backbone" or "border"
routers. In the end, we've decided to go with Cisco GSR's.

The flaws we tended to find were with not enough enough memory to hold
full routing tables, or a limit on the number of route entries. Another
flaw was mentioned with regard to the route caching - something about
needing to hold in table of which IP addresses were on which port (usual
switch behaviour).

Simon

--
Simon Lockhart                      |   Tel: 01737 839676
Senior R&D Engineer, Online         |   Fax: 01737 839665
BBC Research & Development          | Email: Simon.Lockhart at rd.bbc.co.uk
Kingswood Warren, Tadworth, Surrey. |   URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/