RADB Fees

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Oct 25 22:22:02 UTC 1999

> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:47:21 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr at baby-dragons.com>
>

> 	Hello Kevin,
>
> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: Majdi Abbas <majdi at puck.nether.net>
> > > Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
> > > Sender: owner-nanog at merit.edu
> > > 	Heads up:
> > > 	https://www.merit.edu/radb/fee.html
>
> > Yes, but before getting excited, please read the full text including
> > the part about participants at the MAEs, PAIX, AADS, and PacBell being
> > exempt.
> 	Is this supposed to make me feel better ? Hmmm, I don't have any
> 	relationships there & I'll bet so DON'T alot of others .  These
> 	continual .05 & .10 antics of every frigging organisation that
> 	has anything todo with the internet today is getting -WAY- out
> 	line (not the prices I saw there) .  Next some idiot is going
> 	to say Because I provide toilet paper to Cisco/Bay-Networks/...
> 	I'm going to bill all of you with a wipe your backend surcharge.
> 	Signed Prodtor&Grumble or somesuch .  Gawd where does this end .

Actually, it's a win for us as we have been one of the ISPs who have
been contributing (to the tune of 5 figures) to keep the RADB alive
for the past couple of years since the NSF quit funding it. Most of
the world has been getting by for free, but we felt the RADB was
essential to a well run Internet and were willing to pay (along with
Verio, ANS, and some others) to keep it in place.

There are a great many parts of the Internet that were funded by the
government. The government has no real business running the Internet,
so I am just as happy to see the finding become privatized.

(Yes, ESnet is U.S. Government funded.)

Most larger ISPs are at one of the places where the route servers are
located and most local ISPs have their registrations handled by their
up-streams who are at the route servers. For those who do their own,
it will be another .05 & .10 charge, I'm afraid. But, until all
functions that make the Internet run are funded by those who use the
Internet, there will undoubtedly be more of them.

Now that I've said that, I do think that Merit should be doing a MUCH
better job of letting people know about this. I heard about it a
couple of weeks ago on the RADB mailing list, but until today, nothing
on NANOG, an obvious place for it and one managed by Merit.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)