your mail

Jeff Haas jeffhaas at merit.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:59:29 UTC 1999

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 10:43:25AM -0400, James Smith wrote:
> I know a lot of networks do BGP filter.  Is there any way to make sure
> that a particular AS doesn't get filtered, such as listing with RADB or
> ARIN's routing registry?  I'm not sure how many networks actually use
> these registries for their router configuration, so I don't know whether
> it would be worth while to register or not.

The promise of filtering from the IRR is that you can avoid the problems
created by bogus announcements.

The problem is that the information in the IRR doesn't bear enough
resemblance to reality for people who wish to take a full feed of
Internet routes and filter them.  While some providers are good about
putting data into the IRR (or their portion of it), they often aren't
good about removing the data.

That said, on a peer to peer basis for a given peer's routes, there
isn't any reason why both peers can't agree to filter each other based
on data in the global IRR or their own local copies.  Sanity enforced
at the local level can help protect against insanity at the global level.

I find it disturbing that route filtering, especially for the larger
providers, is still being configured manually.

--
 Jeffrey Haas   "... and we cannot ignore our duties simply because they are
elezar at pfrc.org  not what we desire.  That is exactly how evil comes into