NANOG 17 Peering BOF Meeting Notes

David Diaz davediaz at netrail.net
Tue Oct 19 19:34:52 UTC 1999

I think 'peering person' is a way to broad.  Most companies have
someone incharge of determining policy while 2-3 people may actually
'implement' it on the routers.  Rumor is there are even Peering and
Steering committees....

At 5:26 AM -0700 10/18/99, William B. Norton wrote:
>At 08:00 AM 10/18/99 -0400, Jessica Yu wrote:
> >>I will not send the database to those who
> >>do not contribute info to the database, nor folks who are not peering
> >>coordinators.  I'll send out periodic updates as appropriate.>
> >
> >So if xyz sends in the information and claims to be the peering
> >coordinator of ISP-abc. S/he will get the database information?
> >
> >The point is mechanism(s) of verification may be needed.
>
>Agreed - A couple folks in the BOF suggested that the information *should
>not* be made widely available (like on a public web site for the world to
>see) since it contained personal contact information. At the same time,
>they wanted other peering coordinators (whom they may not know) to have
>access to the info.
>
>The first stab at solving this is to have a human (namely me) in the loop
>and validate each addition. So far there hasn't been a problem. I have run
>into the problem where multiple people from the same company claim to be
>the peering person, but that's a different problem. If there are
>suggestions along this line I'd love to hear them.
>
>Bill
>William B. Norton	<wbn at equinix.com>     +1 650.298.0400 x2225
>Equinix Co-Founder, Director of Business Development

Thank you,
David Diaz
Chief Technical Officer
Netrail, Inc

email:   davediaz at netrail.net, davediaz at fla.net, cougar at mail.rockstar.org
pager: 888-576-1018
NOC: 404-522-1234
Fax:    404 522-2191

Build 1:	 46 cities nationwide -- COMPLETE
Build 2: 	 80 OC48s Nationwide [no typo]

++ FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! ++