using gated for multi-home BGP

Peter Galbavy Peter.Galbavy at knowledge.com
Mon Oct 18 09:01:08 UTC 1999

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 12:12:42PM -0400, Jim Mercer wrote:
> the configs are based on a few factoids derived from the examples and alot
> of trial and error.

> also, if using an intel platform, with FreeBSD, what would your recommendations
> be for processor/RAM with two full peers?

This is *not* a recommendation to drop gated, but you may want to
start looking at zebra (http://www.zebra.org) which is becoming stable
enough to use in a "real" environment. Comparing to the public
versions of gated, it uses less memory and less CPU and supported lots
more "new" (read necessary) attributes.

Our external router (just onefor now - it is only a small network)
runs gated, but next time I am back in the office on a weekend it is
likely to get zebra installed. I have zebra operating (bgpd actually -
not kernel updates) on my test/desktop machine with 3 full-ish BGP peers
in 64M RAM:

bgpd> show ip bgp sum
Neighbor        V     AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down  State/Pref
195.40.167.193  4   9179  435872   59921        0    0    0 01w2d16h     66646
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 4   AAAA 1856882   61712        0    0    0 3d08h37m     65153
YYYYYYYYYYYYY   4  BBBBB  106231  133262        0    0    0 5d21h22m     27668

from top:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE WAIT     TIME    CPU COMMAND
16556 root       2    0   20M   21M sleep select  23:18  0.34% bgpd

(IP and ASes blurred to protect my testing partners). This is no
exports - import only, but export works OK in our smaller tests.

The only major area I think needs lots of work is logging - I can
say this because I volunteered to do it, but have not had any spare
time in the passed couple of months.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy