your mail

Alex P. Rudnev alex at virgin.relcom.eu.net
Sat Oct 16 15:01:53 UTC 1999

It depends of the service provider etc.

When we add new customer with his own AS and network, we (here) must:
- add his AS into our AS MACRO in RIPE data base, because a dozen
providers here and in Europe, just as (for example) MCI in USA use this
(and RADB) data base for the AS-based filtering;
- send this AS to some our peers and upstream provider because they build
AS-based filetsr manually (through it tends to the RIPE or RADB usage
instead)
- send the PREFIX (not AS) to some providers because they use prefix-based
filtering (at least UUnet does so).
(all this except (1) is doing by the programs, of course - we update RIPE
and generate everything from the RIPE).

I (personally) am  thinking AS-based filtering is useless and it's safer
to do
PREFIX-based filtering instead, just with the COMMUNITY-based route
control. RELCOM does both PREFIX (always except upstream links) and AS
(sometimes) filtering.

This means _it's highly recommended to keep your network objects in the
registry data bases in order_. But it depends from the topology.

Alex.

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, James Smith wrote:

> Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:43:25 -0400 (EDT)
> From: James Smith <jsmith at dxstorm.com>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
>

> I know a lot of networks do BGP filter.  Is there any way to make sure
> that a particular AS doesn't get filtered, such as listing with RADB or
> ARIN's routing registry?  I'm not sure how many networks actually use
> these registries for their router configuration, so I don't know whether
> it would be worth while to register or not.
>

> --
> James Smith, CCNA
> Network/Systems Administrator
> DXSTORM.COM
>
> http://www.dxstorm.com/
>
> DXSTORM Inc.
> 2140 Winston Park Drive, Suite 203
> Oakville, ON, CA L6H 5V5
> Tel:   905-829-3389
> Fax:  905-829-5692
> 1-877-DXSTORM (1-877-397-8676)

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)